The Resource Small island
- Small island
- Statement of responsibility
- Andrea Levy
- trueBooks to movies
- trueEngland -- Immigration and emigration
- trueEngland -- Race relations
- true1940s -- 1940 -- 1949
- trueAdaptability (Psychology)
- trueAdult books for young adults
- trueInterracial friendship
- Jamaicans -- England | London -- Fiction
- trueJamaicans in Great Britain
- trueLandlord and tenant -- England
- trueLiterary fiction
- London (England) -- Fiction
- trueMultiple perspectives
- truePostwar life
- trueRace relations
- Racism -- Fiction
- trueWorld War II -- England -- Post-war aspects
- trueWorld War II veterans
- trueEngland -- Social conditions -- 20th century
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueHusband and wife
- Immigrants -- England | London -- Fiction
- trueImmigration and emigration
- "Hortense Joseph arrives in London from Jamaica in 1948 with her life in her suitcase, her heart broken, her resolve intact. Her husband, Gilbert Joseph, returns from the war expecting to be recieved as a hero, but finds his status as a black man in Britain to be second class. His white landlady, Queenie, raised as a farmers daughter, befriends Gilbert, and later Hortense, with innocence and courage, until the unexpected arrival of her husband, Bernard, who returns from combat with issues of his own to resolve." From the book jacket
- Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book, 2005.
- Commonwealth Writers' Prize, South Asia and Europe: Best Book, 2005.
- Orange Prize for Fiction, 2004.
- Whitbread Book Award for Novel, 2004.
- Whitbread Book of the Year Award, 2004.
- Awards note
- Winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction 2004.
- Winner of the Whitbread book of the year 2004.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Intended audience
- Intended audience source
- LC call number
- LC item number
- S63 2004
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Small island
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Small island
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.wwpl.lib.in.us/resource/exKa5NNFt4w/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.wwpl.lib.in.us/resource/exKa5NNFt4w/">Small island</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.wwpl.lib.in.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.wwpl.lib.in.us/">Westfield Washington Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>